A proper seven hours sleep is very important to get a break from our hectic life. Sleep deprivation occurs when we don’t take enough sleep thus resulting in physical, mental and emotional disabilities.
Human beings have a brain and five sensory organs. These organs take information from surroundings and then the brain process it to give response .hence the main processing is done by the brain, and if we do not give enough rest to our brain, how can we expect it to respond and work according to our demands. For example if we are planning a trip, in its excitement we stay awake during the travel and do shopping for hours, but when we finally reach our destination we get already so tired that we don’t feel the pleasure. Everything is in front of us, all our sensory organs are sending messages to our brain, our eyes are showing the beautiful scenery, our nose is sensing the fragrance, our fingers are touching the fresh water ripples, but unfortunately our mind is completely blank and unable to appreciate the nature. All we feel is headache and restlessness in our attitude, as a result of sleep deprivation.
Sleep deprivation shows the following signs:
- Less motivation: People sufferings from sleep deprivation have lower energy during the day time and perform all activities slowly with less motivation and enthusiasm.
- Headache: Sleep deprivations also results in headache, red swollen eyes and light headedness.it can also become fatal if person faints due to dizziness.
- Unclear vision: Eyes only see what our mind is prepared to comprehend. If our mind is fatigued and not fully charged, our eyes also fails to see clearly, resulting in double vision and misalignment of eye muscles.
- Obesity: Disturbance in sleep cycle often results in laziness and increased food cravings. People don’t workout to burn extra calories and rely heavily on junk food. Sitting and eating fried food and sweets causes obesity and overweight.
- Dull skin: lack of sleep causes hormonal imbalance and natural processes of healing and repairing are greatly disturbed. When we sleep, our body repairs damaged cells and provides extra glow and freshness to our skin, that’s why it is called the “beauty sleep”.
- Acute diseases: sleep deprivation also causes slow processing of glucose inside our body, which may lead to diabetes and other diseases.
Sleep deprivation often results in poor memory and weak concentration. People not taking proper sleep have low and unclear mental abilities during the whole day.
- Inability to perform daily routine tasks: Due to lack of concentration we usually lose our balance and cannot perform very basic tasks such as climbing stairs, playing basketball and other sports.
- Loss of balance: it also affects driving and handling of other careful tasks. Driving requires keen consideration since it is matter of life and death, every day we hear incidents at highway because drivers were drunk or sleepy and lost balance in their way.
- Slow response: since our mind is not fully refreshed, it becomes slow to give response and reacts slowly.in our daily life, we often face challenges which requires quick problem solving skills. Sleep deprivation also makes us disabled during small and easy task which can be quickly handled and save us from huge destruction.
- Memory loss: it also results in memory loss and inability to make decisions. People usually panic a lot in finding stuff they just kept and get upset whole day trying to remember the past events.
- Instable behaviour: Sleep deprivation is greatly displayed in our emotional behavior because we easily get irritated by small worthless things. People become less predictable and instable. They loss their emotional balance and sometimes they either act hyperactive or other times they become numb and senseless.
- Depression: people who do not take proper night sleep are more like to have depression because they feel lonely and exhausted when their family members are enjoying a peaceful sleep. They have infinite thought bursting in their mind and thus they fail to relax.